How to get rid of Bedbugs from your home or business
Bed Bugs are small crawling insects that can live anywhere in your home. Bed bugs are small, flat, oval, brown to redish-brown insects, which feed on warm-blooded Humans, Pets and animals.
Getting Rid of Bed Bugs
Follow these steps to ensure the complete eradication and removal of bedbugs in your home or business.
- Thoroughly wash, vacuum or clean all surfaces and bedding.
- Wash bedding and affected clothing where possible, using hot water. Dry in a clothes drier on a hot setting.
- Vacuum mattresses, seal in dark plastic and leave outside in the hot sun for as long as possible.
- Steam clean carpets.
- Spray common hiding spots with a surface insecticide registered to control bedbugs. Follow the label directions carefully. Do not treat bedding with insecticide.
If you think you might have and Bed Bug infestation in your home you will need to contact Knockout Pest Control by Rentokil for a pest inspection.
What are Bed Bugs
Bed bugs, bed-bugs, or bedbugs are parasitic insects of the cimicid family that feed exclusively on blood. Cimex lectularius, the common bed bug, is the best known, as it prefers to feed on human blood.
The name “bed bug” derives from the preferred habitat of Cimex lectularius: warm houses and especially nearby or inside of beds and bedding or other sleep areas. Bed bugs are mainly active at night, but are not exclusively nocturnal. They usually feed on their hosts without being noticed.
Facts about Bed Bugs
- Bed bugs do not spread disease but their bites can become red, itchy welts.
- Bed bugs can consume 2-5 times their own body weight in blood.
- They can hitchhike from one place to another in backpacks, clothing, luggage, books and other items
- Unlike head lice, they usually do not live on a person.